Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Hunted

Author's Note: This piece is a point of view I really wanted to emphasize the point of view for the deer and the things it goes through. I also wanted to show good punctuation.

When the deer hunting season begins many excited hunters pack up and head north hoping to have great hunting season. Many people enjoy the sport of hunting and invest lots of money and numerous hours of work to prepare for the season.  Every morning hunters load their weapons and embark on an adventure to their tree stand.  However, have you ever wondered the deers point of view while being hunted.

As we walk into the field at the break of daylight I heard loud cracks in all directions. This seems to happened every year but it hasn’t for months on end. As I finish up eating the frozen corn I go back into the thick forest. As I enter the woods with caution I smell something out of the ordinary. After a few more smells I realize its time to head in another direction. Today the woods seemed a little peculiar there was a lot of ruckus and odd things.

Then I decided to head down the valley to bed for the day. On my way down I was cautious to try not to startle anyone as I walked I heard a loud rustle. I second guess myself and looked again it was a huge buck walking away with blood running down his back legs. I asked him” What happened to you?” he said” I was shot by a hunter and stay away from the field there are hunters everywhere”. As he started leave I said” Is there anything I can do to help you” he said No, just stay away from that field”. I felt terrible just letting him walk by but like he said there is nothing I could have done to help him.

Selfish as it sounds I decided to go back up to the field reason being I was starving and it was my only option. When my head popped up over the ridge I heard a “Bang” before I knew it I was hurt and hurt bad. My only option was to bed down in the valley where clearly I should have stayed. When I got down there I was In pain and didn’t know what to do so I took two deep breaths and that was history.

 I had been hunting a long frigid weekend with not much action at all. I was in my last afternoon and decided to head out after the Packers game. I had only been sitting for a few hour and I saw brown moving in the distance. I decided to wait until he got over the ridge, as he finally popped his head out I lined my  cross hair up on his heart then I slightly pull the trigger and slam a cloud of smoke filled the air in front of me. Before I go a glimpse he was gone into the deep dark forest.

I waited till pitch dark and embarked for my grandpas tree stand it was an exciting walk to tell him the news. As I got to the stand I said “ Grandpa I think I got one lets go look by where I shot him” with joy he replied “ let’s go get him”. As we got there I saw a great blood trail after a  few hundred yard of tracking I looked into the valley and there he was. I ran up to my grandpa in joy he said” congratulations on the deer”. As I walked up I saw it was a nice northern Wisconsin buck.

Many people say that is not fair or not right to hunt, but imagine the world without it what other ways would there be for them to go? Disease, starvation, predators or even worse car accidents. When it’s all said and I think deer hunting is a very fun, enjoyable and humane thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment